Monday 1 April 2013

Florence, Damon, Morrissey and Elbow - just too many to mention...

2012 The Year of Change...

Where does the time go?

Well, 2012 is proving to be the year of change. I got my first photos of Yukimi Nagano (Little Dragon) and Florence + the Machine published in MixMag (and I rushed out to WHSmiths to buy copies, just to be sure I wasn't dreaming).


They say you should never work with your Hero's and I worked with most of mine this year.
I got to shoot my first Arena gigs (Florence + the Machine) and then went back again to shoot Morrissey. 




The Charlatans, Tim Burgess, New Order, Graham Coxon, Newton Falkner and Richard Hawley (to name but a few) all ventured in front of the lens;



I got to photograph Damon Albarn's wonderful 'Africa Express' when they stopped in Manchester (all four hours of it).
There was a host of talent, including Joy Divison's Peter Hook, making a guest appearance.
Not only did I get to shoot all the show, but I had the unique chance of meeting all the artistes as they lingered side stage, and photographed many of them as part of their own personal journey.

Carl Barat even quoted it as being 'One of the best things he has ever done!' And I have to say it was for me too x







One highlights of the year was being invited to photograph Elbow at 'Live at Jodrell Bank', in usual British summer fashion - it rained - cars got stuck in the car park, tractors were used to pull the casualties out of the mud and it was almost daylight before we finally reached home.
Paul Weller's concert the following night was cancelled, which was a huge shame.


**********************

My partner in crime (Jill Coleman) and I delivered our first talk on 'Concert Photography' to a local photography group.
But the biggest surprise this year was getting a tweet off Jill telling me that 'The Heartbreaks' had listed the two of us on the insert of their debut album 'Funtimes', we've both worked with The Heartbreaks over the last two years in the run-up to their debut album, what an honour!

Jill and I are thinking of putting a display up soon too. So watch this space....

 

**********************

I've started to shoot babies and newborns this year.
...My earplugs come in useful for these shoots too!

 
...and I've been doing some freelance photography for my local paper. I think that if I'm going to be a 'Journo' then I'll need to be a bit pushier and not so 'gentile'.
I've met some interesting people on these shoots, including a very brave gentleman called Peter Fleming who survived male breast cancer and who has recently be diagnosed with this terrible disease again.



One of my most memorable shoots this year was assisting Terry McNamarra on 'The Kiss 2012'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/terrymc/6870275131/  It was a privilege to work with Terry.
I knew vintage model 'Laura Norrey' as we used to work together (in a past life), it was such a wonderful experience!


 
Well, back to planning more shoots/fun whatever you want to call it.... I've always got something up my sleeve!

No comments:

Post a Comment